Monday, 3 January 2011

new love

Yesterday started well. I sewed the toes up on a pair of plain socks I'd made for my dad, and cast on for a pair for myself. I like cherry tree hill super-sock it makes a nice firm fabric using 2.25mm needles. I went for an easy-toe start so I could use all the wool.

Unfortunately they won't help to keep me warm for a while. There is a large window behind my sofa, and I could feel the cold air coming from it as I sat knitting. The socks went on hold and a blanket was started. In my new love. I have 1 kilo of handspun undyed Wensleydale, 500g each of cream and brown. It sounds scarily like I completed something here (the spinning), but alas 3 batches of the cream still need plying - so close!).

Anyway I digress. I cast on for a pi-shawl, using 4.5mm needles and the brown. It grew. I threw in some cream rows. It grew. I got a mad idea and grabbed my copy of Traditional Scandinavian Knitting by Sheila McGregor. It grew a little slower.

Yep, I'm now working on a blanket, that will definitely end up with 576 stitches on the needles, and I'm stranding colour work into it. It is so soft I can't wait to curl up wrapped in it. I'm toying with the idea of ignoring the gym and sneaking off to a cafe at lunchtime to work on it instead. 

Apologies for the poor quality pictures. It's dark and I haven't had coffee yet :(


No comments:

Post a Comment